History of the School
Immaculate Conception Catholic School began in 1881, one year after the appointment of Immaculate Conception Parish's first permanent pastor Fr. William Schmidt.
In 1890 when the school became too large for one teacher, the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood from O’Fallon, Missouri took over. The school numbered 71 students.
In 1923, under the supervision of Fr. Woeltermann, a new brick school was erected, and the school moved to be next to the church. In 1959, with the apparent growth of the parish, there was a keen need for a larger school. Under the guidance of Fr. Fuchs, the new endeavor of adding on to the north end of the existing school building began and was completed in 1961.
In 1980, a kindergarten was started, housed at first in the basement of the convent and later moved to the school building. In the fall of 1999, the school welcomed Janet Eaton as the new principal, taking over for Sr. Barbara Rupp, SSND, who had successfully led the school for nine years.
During the summer of 2002, we broke ground to begin the new school building. The building was complete in October 2003. On August 19, 2003, we opened the door to 511.
On December 17th, 2006 ground was broken to begin the construction of our new West Wing, 16,000 square feet. The construction continued all spring and through the summer. Ironically on Dec. 8th, 2007, nearly a year to the day and our feast day, the move was made to the new wing. Also, ironically, on Dec. 17th of 2007, one year later from groundbreaking, the students ate lunch for the first time in the new cafeteria. Our enrollment was at 705 students for the 2007-08 school year.
With an enrollment of 747, the 2008-09 school year was underway. For the first time in ten years, all school expansion and construction were completed. Mrs. Eaton was supported by three Assistant Principals (Mrs. Debbie Pecher, Mrs. Ann Hoffman, Mr. Jonathan Batchelor) during her time at ICD. She completed her leadership at ICD in the year 2011. Mr. Batchelor stayed on as the Interim Principal in 2011-2012.
For the 2012-2013 school year, Mr. Dan Mullenschlader was named Principal. Mr. Mullenschlader has been supported by two Assistant Principals (Mrs. Maureen Lovette, Mrs. Michelle Knapp) during his leadership.
In the year 2013-2014, Immaculate Conception opened up a Pre-Kindergarten program that includes 3-year-old and 4-year-old classrooms. The Pre-School has over 100 students preparing for Kindergarten at ICD.
Daily, the Full-Time Parish School, serves the 4,400 families of ICD Parish and welcomes nearly 800 students to our school each day. The school now has the support of 90 staff members including a Resource Department, Teacher Aides, and individual teachers for Specials (PE, Music, Band, Spanish, Art, and Library). Immaculate Conception Full-Time School fosters as a “community of one Spirit in Christ Jesus” dedicated to serving the mission of the Catholic Education in the Archdiocese of St. Louis.